I’ve been on a grain-free kick lately. I’m not really “paleo”, but I do love trying out new paleo recipes as I enjoy experimenting with dairy- and grain-free recipes in the kitchen. I’m a big believer in butter and eggs, so I’d never give them up completely, but I think my favorite thing about learning paleo recipes is learning how to use non-dairy ingredients. It’s just a great cooking skill to have, plus, if I’m ever out of them and don’t feel like running to the store, which happens a lot in the winter time, let me tell you!
This is a cool recipe that not only is free of wheat and gluten, but also has paleo options. If you have any gluten-free relatives coming over for the holidays, it would be a great option for a sweet and healthy(ish) treat!
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (Paleo alternative: unsweetened dark chocolate)
- 4 tbs butter, chopped (Paleo alternative: virgin coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup sugar (Paleo alternative: coconut sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 8″ baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil so that it hangs over the edge
- In a double-boiler, or heat-safe bowl resting in a saucepan with simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter or coconut oil together until blended and smooth.
- Add the sugar, and blend well, then remove from heat and set aside
- In a separate bowl, blend the vanilla extract with the eggs and beat with a hand mixer for about a minute, until frothy.
- Add the cocoa powder and salt to the eggs, and beat until blended well.
- Combine the melted chocolate and sugar with the eggs and cocoa powder mixture, and blend until smooth and glossy.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, keeping a close eye on it
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
That’s it! Enjoy!
If you liked this, you might also enjoy…