We have been covering the health benefits of liver recently, including a very delicious way to prepare it that makes it quite enjoyable to incorporate into your diet. This way to prepare it is liver pate, which is made out of mostly liver and butter. While I certainly find this recipe to be quite delicious and enjoyable, it’s also pretty caloric and rich, and not necessarily what you want to eat on a regular basis.
There are also many who simply do not find liver pate to be enjoyable, in fact, they find it to be just about as repulsive as plain old liver and onions.
This is definitely understandable! Liver certainly has a bit of an odd, acquired taste, that is sort of earthy and strong. And sometimes, no amount of butter, bourbon, or seasonings is going to mask this if you already have an aversion to liver itself.
So, if you really want the amazing health benefits of liver, but don’t feel like having to eat it, there is one simple solution that might be more palatable to you or at least, might make the process of consuming liver a little less unpleasant.
This is to make your own liver pills. That’s right, you can literally make pills out of liver that you can swallow, which helps you to literally hold your nose and quickly toss some awesome nutrients down the hatch without having to think too long about what you’re actually consuming.
1 package high-quality, organic, grass-fed chicken or beef liver (and thawed if bought frozen)
- Read through all the directions first, so you’re sure you have room in your freezer for the liver “pills” and a sharp enough knife to make them.
- Rinse your liver in cold water and pat dry.
- With a sharp paring knife, slice up your liver into pill-sized pieces. This might take awhile.
- Place the liver pieces on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Leave in the freezer until frozen solid.
- Transfer the frozen “pills” into an airtight container and leave in the freezer for at least 14 days.
These two weeks of additional freezing will ensure that any pathogens in the liver have been killed, making it safe to consume the “pills” raw. After two weeks, simply swallow one or two with every meal.
If you enjoyed this, you might also like….